I could have (and probably should have) spent the last two hours or so doing homework, but I wasted it away making changes here. Among the things that now work:
- The sidebar (that list of links on the right) no longer appears below the footer (that blue bar on the bottom). This was only apparent if you had a ridiculously big screen resolution.
- The comment preview page no longer displays a list of nasty error messages when you post a comment. Now, it takes you back to the post you commented on.
- You can see if comments are waiting to be moderated.
- Your comments no longer get moderated automatically if you have never posted here before (like joelzenny's comment).
- I now receive emails when a comment you submit is waiting for moderation, so your comment does not stay in limbo for almost a month because I forgot about it(like joelzenny's comment).
- You can actually view the blog in Internet Explorer, Lynx, and other browsers of varying reputation. This happened because (Ed: Warning, technobabble follows) gzip compression was enabled, and Internet Explorer was trying to download the compressed pages. I made the mistake of trying to fix this by adding a gzip mime type. Since I used cPanel (which seems to have problems with .htaccess files it did not create itself) to edit the mime types instead of manually editing it, the entire site went down for about five to ten minutes. I fixed that problem, and found a support thread on wordpress.org which fixed the gzip problem (I did not upgrade WordPress properly).
- Since comment spam is no longer a problem, I opened the comments on all of my old posts. Quick, go comment on something from last March!